What About The Legal Aspects Of Hiring A Private Investigator?
So, the last section was a pretty negative view and may have put you off hiring an investigator, but be rest assured there is a positive side to hiring one that is legal and very beneficial.
Yes there are laws and rules, but these laws and rules can be used to help with an investigation. For example; using FOI Freedom of Information laws to request information legitimately; or using laws that allow an ordinary citizen to make a citizen’s arrest and detain someone suspected of, in the process of, or, who is known to have carried out a criminal offense.
The success of an investigation case and keeping it legal is about knowledge of the law and using it sincerely. There are many very skilled, ethical and dedicated private investigators and detectives out there that use their skills, their knowledge, and dedication to help their clients win cases.
The legal side of hiring a private investigator rests on the client’s intentions and the reasons for hiring a private investigator in the first place, and what they intend to do with any information discovered. Keeping it legal also depends on what the private investigator’s character is like, their knowledge of the law, their experience, and their tenacity in finding out information legitimately - without cutting corners.
To keep things legal is a two-way street, with both client and private investigator being honest with each other and working through any problems together.
Things To Remember About Legally Hiring A Private Investigator
If there is anything to understand and take away from this article and to make sure you legally hire a private investigator, it would be these points:
- It is NOT illegal to hire a private investigator.
- A private investigator has no special legal powers than that of an ordinary citizen.
- Do not knowingly deceive or ask a private investigator to do something illegal.
- Do not hire a private investigator that you know breaks the law.
- If you later find out you have hired an unscrupulous PI, terminate their services and find another.
- Work with your private investigator to resolve your case legally.
- Illegal acts can harm you and your case, particularly if court action is later intended and evidence needs to be produced.
Hopefully you have gained some answers here about the legal and illegal side of hiring a private investigator. If you want to hire a private detective, you can search our private investigator directory.