How Much Does It Cost To Hire A Private Investigator?
How Private Investigators Charge For Services
- Criminal investigations
- Surveillance operations
- Matrimonial cases e.g. proof of cohabitation
- Evidence gathering for litigation / criminal defense services
- Some missing person cases
- Locus reports or accident reports
- Basic background checks (database, internet and phone calls only)
- Process serving (serving of a legal court document)
- Tracing missing persons (database, internet and phone calls only)
- Vehicle tracking (charged per day or per week)
- Neighborhood checks (per property)
- Witness statements (per statement)
- Status or Pre-sue Reports
- Fuel charge per mile / km
- Gaining access to special events / entry fees
- Hotels / accommodation
- Flights / travel expenses
- Special services such as forensics / TSCM (debugging)
What Changes The Costs Of Hiring A Private Investigator?
Skills and Experience Affect Private Investigator Costs
Location Also Varies the Cost of Hiring a Private Investigator
Another factor when considering how much it is to hire a private investigator near you is the location. Prices vary from country to country, state to state, city to city; so be prepared to see varying prices when searching for and hiring a PI. You may pay $100+ per hour for a New York private investigator but only $60.00 per hour for an Alabama private investigator based in a small town somewhere.
How To Find Out What A Local Private Investigator Costs
Just as you would shop around for a plumber to get a quote, you can also shop around for private investigators in your area to get quotes. But remember, cheaper is not always better, and expensive is not always the best.
Do some searching online for private investigator costs for your area.
- Do an internet search for private investigators in your local area, type the search in quotation marks (using quotation marks will give you better search results) e.g. "private investigators new york city". Check all of the PI websites in the search results to see if they advertise their prices on their website.
- Or, simply search for private investigator's costs or prices in your area, e.g. "private investigator costs new york city" or "private investigator prices new york city". Again, check the websites for advertised prices.
No luck online?